Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Here Fishy, Fishy...

I like fish.  Raw fish, pan-seared fish, baked fish...I love it any way it's prepared.  The added bonus for a working girl like me, is that it's usually simple and quick to fix for a weeknight meal.  It can also be fancied up for a dinner with friends, especially the vegetarian variety (assuming they eat fishy fishy as well).  I think Salmon is a classic.  You really can't go wrong with most salmon recipes, and I'd say the majority of people love it.  A few years ago I asked my mom for her Laquered Salmon recipe because it was one that always stuck in my mind as being uniquely delicious.  And most importantly for me, I remember her commenting on how easy it was to make.  Sold!  It's now become one of my regular dishes in rotation for easy, mid-week meals or hosting a simple dinner at home.

Laquered Salmon
1 cup soy sauce
1 tbl. cornstarch
1 tbl. sesame oil
1 tbl. minced, peeled ginger
1 tbl. rice wine
1/2 tbl. honey
1/2 tsp. Tabasco
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp. turmeric
4-8 oz. salmon fillets, 1" thick
1 bunch green onion (or asparagus - which I prefer)
1/3 cup water, if needed

(Suggestion: make with Jasmine rice - a great combo with the sauce that drips down from the fish)

Puree first 10 ingredients 'til smooth.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Lightly grease medium baking dish with oil.  Place whole green onions (or asparagus) in dish.  Place fish on top.  Pour 1/2 sauce over fish and bake 'til fish is just cooked through, basting frequently with sauce (add a little water if sauce begins to burn), about 20 minutes.  Arrange fish and asparagus on top of rice mounded in center of plate.  

The arrangement of the asparagus on the mound of rice with the salmon is very dramatic and appetizing.  Makes me want to eat fishy, fishy even more!

-- the daughter

No comments: