Friday, December 30, 2011

Everything's Better with Bacon

I'm a little bit of a nut when it comes to pasta. I'd have it every day of the week if it weren't a carbo over-load! But nothing beats a big bowl of pasta for its yummy-ness, and it's easiness to prepare during the week. Though I'd be happy with just some noodles and olive oil, I try and spice things up a bit to make it look truly gourmet (like I'd been slaving away for hours). So when I found this recipe in Real Simple, and believe me...it was certainly real simple to make!...I knew it'd be a mid-week hit.

Spaghetti with Bacon Meatballs

1 small onion, coarsely chopped
3 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 lb ground beef chuck
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
1 large egg
kosher salt & black pepper
12 oz spaghetti
3 cups marinara

Heat broiler. Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. In a food processor, combine the onion, bacon, garlic, and parsley; pulse until finely chopped, 10 to 15 times. Transfer to medium bowl, add the beef, Parmesan, bread crumbs, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and mix gently to combine.

Form the beef mixture into 16 meatballs (about 2 tablespoons each) and place on a foil-lined broilerproof rimmed baking sheet. Broil, turning once, until cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions.

Heat the marinara sauce in a large skillet over medium heat, 2 to 3 minutes; add the meatballs and toss gently to coat. Serve over the pasta and sprinkle with the shaved Parmesan.

Really nothing to this recipe, and yet it tastes as if you ordered it in your favorite Italian restaurant. I think it has something to do with those bacon meatballs. I guess it's true, everything is better with bacon.

-- the daughter


No comments: